- Contemporary: Worship style is contemporary. Not just the music but the whole worship is not a traditional liturgical style. Preaching is relevant and applicable to our everyday living.
- Contagious: We believe in lifestyle evangelism. Instead of holding periodic evangelistic rallies, we encourage Christians to live out their faith in their everyday life and be living witnesses to the people around them. We also witnessed in the past that members bring their friends and families to the Lord through their own living testimonies.
- Commitment: Westsiders are people with high commitment to the Christian faith and to one another. Their commitment level is reflected in the time and money spent in ministries. The majority of our congregation is very serious about their faith and are loyal followers of Christ.
- Community: We strongly believe in building a biblical Christian community. Small groups of people with similar background and needs will enhance the practice of Christian love on a regular basis.
Our Mission Statement
- Building a community of God, fulfilling God's commissioned ministries.
Our Core Values
- W = Worshipping God in a cultural relevant context (Rev. 4:11)
- E = Evangelizing through one's lifestyle and the whole Christian community (Romans 1:16)
- S = Sharing our love through small groups (Heb. 10:24)
- T = Teaching the Word of God as the authority of life (II Tim. 3:16-17)
- S = Sending people into the world to fulfill the greatest commission (Acts 1:8)
- I = Integrating faith into everyday life and be His witnesses (Col. 1:28)
- D = Developing new models of ministries strategically for the furtherance of His kingdom (Matt. 28:19-20)
- E = Equipping the laity to do the work of the ministries for the functioning of the whole body (Eph. 4 :11-12)
Our Doctrinal Statement
- We believe the Scripture is the inspired Word of God. It is inerrant and is the authority for our faith and everyday living.
- We believe that there is only one true God in the universe. He is the creator of the whole universe.
- We believe Jesus Christ as the only Savior of humankind. He is born of the virgin Mary and is sinless. Thus His shedding blood on the cross can save us from sin. He rose from the dead after three days and ascended to heaven and is now sitting on the right hand side of God.
- We believe that men are sinners and cannot save themselves. But through repentance and acceptance of Jesus, sin can be forgiven and receive eternal life.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit who dwells in the heart of all believers enabling each believer's everyday living.
- We believe that the church is ordained by God and is consisted of born again believers. Through their lives God can be glorified and His mission on earth fulfilled.
- We believe that Jesus Christ will come again in glory and in power. He will judge all the living and the dead
Our StoryWestside Baptist Church was a direct church plant project that the Canadian Baptists of Western Canada started in September 1990 among the Chinese community in west side of Vancouver. At first, the size of the congregation was only 5 people, including the pastor and her husband, but we witnessed how God miraculously led people from different backgrounds to our church. First, a group of young students from UBC started attending, and then some new immigrant families joined. Through their network, their family members, relatives and friends were attracted to Westside by the love from God we shared. On May 3, 1992, Westside Baptist Church was officially chartered, and by that time, membership had grown from 5 to 42 within a short 20 months.
In 2000, we had a ministry breakthrough with our first short-term mission trip. Our destination was Victoria. We handed out Gospel tracks on the University of Victoria campus and in Chinatown, and we hosted an evangelistic rally. In 2008, we had our first international mission trip to Mexico City for 10 days. In 2010, with the assistance of Lifestyle Ministries, our members went on 2 mission trips to Sichuan, China. These trips gave us memorable experiences and deepened our understanding for missions.
As for our pastoral team, from the beginning, the denomination called Pastor Gladys Tsang to lead Westside, and she was ordained in 1992 on the same day that Westside was chartered. In 2001, Gladys' husband Anders finished his studies at Regent College, and was called by Westside as an Associate Pastor. He was later ordained in 2004. In 2009, due to Pastor Anders’ health issues, long-time member Alan Yu, who was working in a parachurch organization at the time, assumed the position of part-time Pastoral Intern to assist in the pastoral work. Then because of the growing needs of the ministry, Pastor Alan was called to become Westside's third full-time pastor in 2011.
Looking back on our 20+ years of history, we are most thankful for the many fruits of the Gospel. The power of the Gospel has not only changed individuals, but entire families. Many of our members who used to come to worship alone now come every Sunday with their families. Many of our once youths are now married and have families and children of their own. Many of the "spiritual babies" who were born again at Westside have now become mature leaders in our church.
In the days ahead, we pray that the Lord continue to pour out blessings to our neighbours through Westside, and may we become a blessing to even more people.